Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Days 22-23: The Cathedral in Lyon

I spent two days in Leon.  I slept in a hostel on the first night (in a room with thirty-five other people, but at least they were all females!) and then spent the second night in a hotel called "Paris Spa Hotel":  It was so nice to stay alone in a cozy, clean, comfortable and quiet room.  I went and bought some cereal, milk and even a bowl at a supermercado (supermarket) and enjoyed a wonderful evening of cereal and solitude.  In particular, it was so nice to have real towels, a nice comfortable bed with clean sheets (no sleeping bag on this night!), no upper bunk on which to bump my head, and a nice shower where I could use all the hot water I wanted, twice!  I bought a very thin book at a nearby bookstore and even had some time to read.  This evening really touched my sweet spot!

Earlier in the day, I enjoyed touring the Cathedral in Lyon.  This Cathedral is sometimes compared to the Cathedral in Chartres, France because they both have such amazing stained-glass windows. This cathedral was built in the 12th Century when the village of Lyon only had a population of 5000 people.  While I am not overly keen on the extravagance used to build such huge and often ostentatious monuments to God, I appreciate this cathedral because the sun-enhanced, stained-glass windows were a way that the peasants, most of whom could not read, could "read" the various accounts of God´s faithfulness in scripture.  The use of stone, light and amazing creativity and skill all synergistically come together to speak about God´s transcendant beauty.

(Unable to add photos on this computer. I will add them later as I am able.)




No comments:

Post a Comment