Friday, October 26, 2012

Days 31-34: Entering Galicia

I am now walking through the region in Spain called Galicia.  Galicia is the region where Santiago de Compostela is located. The guidebook I have been using (A Pilgrim´s Guide to the Camino de Santiago by John Brierley) says, "The mountains of Galicia are the first object in 5000 km that the westerly winds coming across the Atlantic hit, so you can expect an immediate change in weather with frequent rain showers...and thick fog all feeding a maze of mountain streams and deep river beds" (p. 235).  Brierley writes that this land is similar to Celtic lands with small fields and lush pastures grazed by sheep, cows, pigs, geese, and chickens.  Actually, this land reminds me quite a lot of the Appalachian Mountains where my sister lives.  There are times I almost think I will see my sister Sara coming up on her bicycle, ready to go biking with me!

As the book relates, the weather does change a lot here, but I have mostly been amazingly fortunate.  Four days ago, it could not have been more beautiful.  I even say a rainbow (though there was no rain). On that night, I stayed at an albergue (hostel) where I had dinner with an American man from San Diego and a dear couple from Ontario.  It was a perfect evening, as we reflected on our respective Camino experiences.  I came up with the idea that we should make a Camino board game and that opened up all sorts of funny possibilities for what the game could be like.  You know, things like "you have three blisters, go back three spaces".  Most of our jokes can only be appreciated if you have walked the Camino, so I won´t bore you with more details. But for us, it was a halarious night with much laughter and special reflections from all of us about our experiences along the Way.

The very next day couldn´t have had worse weather.  I slogged through rain and rain and more rain.  I slogged through cow poop, cow poop and more cow poop.  I slogged through mud, mud and more mud.  I walked for almost eight hours and most of that time was pouring rain. When I arrived at the albergue, I could hardly hold a pen to sign my name because I was so soaked and cold.  Later that evening, I had some very interesting conversation with a woman from England.  I will not share that experience here, at least not now, but it was one of the highlights of my Camino experience...sort of like that note I found under the rock!  So, despite all the rain, and my weary efforts to trudge a few extra kilometers to the next albergue, it was all worth it!

For the last three days, I have walked a total of sixty-two miles.  Today, I walked the farthrest I have ever walked in one day - thirty-three kilometers - which equals almost twenty-one miles.  I am now only 20 kilometers away from Santiago!!  Tomorrow, I will walk just fifteen kilometers and will stay in an albergue that has spaces for five hundred pilgrims!  Then, Sunday morning, I will walk the final five kilometers to the city and will attend the "Pilgrim Mass" at 12 noon at the Cathedral church. Of course, it will all be in Spanish, but I figure God knows English too!  When I arrive, I will be praying for you, my dear friends, and especially thanking God for your encouragement and love for me over these five hundred miles/eight hundred kilometers!  I couldn´t have done it without you.










1 comment: